Friday, October 20, 2006

Does this happen in your office?

People occasionally bring treats to the office to share. Someone has baked cookies or brought Hallowe'en candy and they leave it on a common table for everyone to help themselves. In our office all the women do this, but there's one guy working in our office who has NEVER ever brought anything to share. It doesn't stop him however from helping himself to whatever treats are being offered.
Does he realize that he's always taking but never contributing?
Do he feel piggy or guilty for doing this?
Do he feel entitled?
Do he not think at all?
Why does he think this is acceptable behaviour?
Am I over-reacting?

This is a perfectly nice, considerate guy. Yet it doesn't seem to have occured to him that he is accepting everyone else's hospitality without ever reciprocating.
It's starting to bug me.


Updated:
Godamnit. He's just taken the last peanut butter cup.
Now I'm really mad.

7 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Blogger Lut C. said...

I'd tease him a bit the next time someone brings a treat. "You've sampled all our cooking so many times, when will we get to sample yours?"

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Erin said...

There is one in every office. My guess is he is just completely oblivious to the fact anyone notices he doesn't contribute.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Krista said...

I bet he doesn't even consider the fact that other people but effort into these treats. Guys just think differently (I am not excusing that) and I bet he has never given it a second thought.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Drew said...

Hmmph!

Yup. There is a guy at my old work who did the same thing too. He just eat up everything elses treats and then some. A real dickhead.

Once I brought a carton of packaged juice to work - and somebody managed to pry the carton open (so it exposed a little hole) so he can pour from it without disturbing the packaging. I got so freaking angry at this pettiness (he earns decent money) that I sent a global email out - reminding the `offender' to seek immediate medical help because my juice was for medicated purposes. And guess who came running to me stressing out?????

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Thalia said...

I'm the only one who ever brings anything I've made into work, so I haven't been in the same situation. But I like lut c's suggestion.

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You spelled "Hallowe'en" AND "goddamnit" the right way...you deserve an extra peanut butter cup just for that!

I hate it how some people are just that dense. You should all make him say "trick or treat" tomorrow if he wants any more candy!

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a bit shallow, I think, to be discussing this. If you are not prepared to others' taking your food and providing nothing in exchange - then don't bring. People can be doing that for all kinds of reasons. Most likely explanation, though, is that this is something that is done on a "child" level - taking a cookie from a plate. The person is simply not operating in the "adult" mode.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home