Friday, September 29, 2006

So much for karma

Have I mentioned (lately) how much I hate my family doctor?
She is at the top of my list of people I blame for my current state of infertileness.

You may, or may not, recall that when we first started 'trying' (long forgotten halcyon days where we thought sex lead to babies- ha!) I went to see her to make sure everything was alright. Blood tests were ordered. I was proclaimed healthy. "That's interesting" she said looking at my chart "we have the same birthday".

Months go by. Nothing is happening but there's an odd pain in my pelvic area.
It's nothing, she says. Maybe an ovarian cyst. They go away on their own. Take tylen*l or naproxen.
Many weeks later and the pain has gotten steadily worse. I am taking naproxen every few hours.
Well...she suggests. We could order an ultrasound.
She helpfully schedules an ultrasound for 2 months later.
In those months, a huge endometrioma is developing and swallowing up my ovary.

She looks at the ultrasound results and suggests we 'check-up' on it a few weeks later.
Another month of waiting. The pain killers are not doing anything. I spend hours at my office lying under my desk because the pain is so bad.
And the endometrioma is growing. The follow-up ultrasound shows that it's almost 10cm in size. Imagine a grapefruit..on your ovary.

Due to my family doctor's helpful advice and watchful waiting, I will end up in surgery and four days later leave minus one and a half ovaries.

So, you know where this goes right?

I just saw her. Walking down the street. Smiling.
She is hugely pregnant.

We share the same fucking birthday. How nice.

14 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through that! She should lose her license or her baby. Okay, sorry, I didn't mean that last phrase, but really, I feel so angry for you. As a doctor myself, I can't believe she could have ignored your symptoms, resulting in such tragic consequences. I hope at least she was remorseful and gave you some apology. Really, how would she feel if the same thing had happened to her?! I would have gone up to this woman and said everything you wrote, right to her face. There are hardly other pains in the world that rival infertility, and she is partially responsible for what you have had to go through. You are a strong person for taking the high road. After struggling with infertility, I don't know if I could have done the same.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Lut C. said...

That's ex-family doctor to you I hope.

I blame my previous GP for waiting 18 months before starting IF tests, and I feel a bit resentful. You must be absolutely livid!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger chris said...

I don't post here but I do read. I'm sorry, but I have to tell you, I hate your doctor.

Hang in there.

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh. I hate her. My old GP and I also had the same birthday. Weird. Luckily, i can't blame her for my barreness. Hope you're doing ok...

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's completely irrational for me to hate your doctor since I don't know her at all, but I do. I really, really do.

I'm so sorry, sweetie.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Krista said...

That is simply fucking awful. I can't believe that could happen. I'd like to think that I would have complained but the reality is I probably would not have. Hope you have at least switched doctors.

 
At 4:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh that's terrible, absolutey horrible. i have this awful feeling in my gut.

you are a strong, strong person.

if you see her again, you should tell her about your experience. you could be saving more people from her clinical indifference.

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

add me to the list of haters.

geez.

unbelievable.

thinking of you,

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Thalia said...

Nina that is an injustice beyond imagining, I'm so sorry.

 
At 3:21 AM, Blogger Drew said...

The very first doctor I saw some 6 years ago looked up her medical books when I told her about my `lack of periods'. She sent me off for a series of blood tests. And when I returned to see her a week later, the best she could offer me was a single line of:
`I am sorry. You don't ovulate.'

I thought yeah and, what the freak am I supposed to do about it? She wasn't helpful and I felt didn't offer me enough sound medical advice. It was as if she just told me I have only 1 month to live - and that was that. It was the most bullshit experience ever.

Bugger her off and find somebody who can give you better care in the future. I am just sorry you had to experience her hon.

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

You were very restrained! I would have tripped her up to wipe the smile off her face but then I am mad like that.

 
At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There just amazing....NOT!!

 
At 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you have ran her over or something? I hope you have fired your Doctor, I hate her also! I'm sorry you had to deal with an incompentent wanker!

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger JennaM said...

Late to the party, Nina. And really sorry about your GPs insensitivity. Mine kept sending me to alternative practitioners (it was all in my "stress level" moreso than my sky-high FSH, according to her). I take some comfort from the fact that her teenage son has recently dropped out of his first year of college to move in with a 30-something slut my GP hates...) Yours'll get hers too, some day, have no fear.

In the MEANtime, I hope that you and your adorable hubby have some good times this fall before Canada turns as frigid as my womb...

xoxo
JennaM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home