Friday, May 05, 2006

Veni, vidi, vici

Well, not exactly.
But we did make it to NY and now we are back.

How did it go? you ask.
Well...it was alright.
At one point it was very touch-and-go. About two weeks ago I received a call from the clinic saying they were going to cancel. There was no need for me to come to NY. My estrogen was too low. There was 1 lead follicle sucking up all the FSH. They suggested an IUI. But I only have 1 tube and 1 ovary, I protested, and they're on opposite sides.
In that case, the doctor said, IUI is not a good idea.
Thanks for that. That's why he gets paid the big bucks.
I decided to continue stims for another day.
And lo and behold the next day my estrogen had shot up and there were follicles.

We're off to the races, said the doc. And we were.

Despite having to change hotels twice, and enduring daily bloodwork and ultrasounds NY was fine. Of course everytime we stepped out the hotel we were assailed with pregnant bellies, beautiful moms with infants and toddlers. Even restaurants were packed with precocious five year olds expertly eating sushi or shumai and demanding san pellegrino NOT perrier.

We ate lots of great food and went shopping (yeah for the rising canadian dollar!). After the thousands spent on drugs & clinic fees it hardly mattered if we spent a little more.

We returned on Monday.
I am 21 cells heavier.
The embryos?
Ha! Notice how I used the plural? There was more that one. Amazing.
Well, the embryos were beautiful.
'Those' said the doctor 'are very very pretty embryos'.

We all know this. A pretty embryo does not a baby make.
But surely it's better than last time around when I was told 'Well, they're a little odd'.
Pretty: good
Odd: not good

So now we wait.
I'm already preparing myself for the same outcome. It's the only outcome I know.
I don't feel anything.
No twinges, no cramping, no 'heaviness' no spotting (is that implantation spotting business just a crock?). Nothing. My breasts were sore and now they're not. What does that mean?

By now the pretty embryos are either dead or nestling in.
Nothing more I can do at this point.
Fingers crossed. Wish me luck.

10 Comments:

At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, more like "Veni, vidi, Visa", then...here's hoping that the next time you go shopping it will be for three or more! Fingers crossed here in soCal.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Krista said...

"A pretty embryo does not a baby make"

True enough - but it is much more likely. So I will just sit here and hum positive thoughts quietly during your two week wait. Because surely the blogosphere is ready for good news and I couldn't think of a more deserving candidate.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Lut C. said...

Multiple pretty embryo's, I like the sound of that. Take good care of yourself during the wait. Good luck!

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Sheryl said...

Crossing my fingers and wishing you lots of luck!!!!

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger zarqa said...

Wow! Great to hear this news of good follicle numbers and multiple embryos retrieved. Sounds promising! Take care and good luck!

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Thalia said...

This is a very different kind of cycle, I'm so pleased. Those embryos sound like something to hope for.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Teendoc said...

I wish you all the luck!

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger zhl said...

Well, aren't you sneaky, not even letting us know how you've been? don't worry, I totally understand. I'm so happy that your cycle went so much better this time.

Hoping that those beautiful embryos make beautiful babies.

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Sparkle said...

Far out that was quick.
Fingers crossed, good luck, hoping this is the one.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Fabulous news and embryos, Nina! Definitely a much better trip to NYC all round this time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home