Thursday, September 01, 2005

Could I borrow a cup of sugar and some eggs?

A few days ago, we visited another IVF clinic.
This time, we took my younger sister along.

You see, it's getting pretty clear that my eggs are not doing the trick. We have tried to cajole my remaining ovary into giving up a few eggs every 4 months or so by bombarding it with every hormone known to mankind. The ovary is not happy. It, reluctantly, spits out a few crappy eggs and then retreats into its usual lethargy.

So we have ventured into new territory.

This new territory involves very awkward conversations with a sibling. The kind of conversations one would never, in a million trillion years ever have imagined having.

My one and only sister is three years younger than me and I have asked her to consider donating eggs. Is this a reasonable request to make of a sibling? I think not. I have made it nonetheless. I share more genetic material with her than anyone else in the world. We look alike, we sound alike, we have similar interests and intellects. There is the added bonus of passing along her (better) nose and more outgoing personality. Egg donation from my sister means that even if I cannot have a baby with my husband, I can still (maybe) have a baby that I have a genetic link with and yes, that is important to me.

3 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! I'll be sending out positive thoughts for you. :-)

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy have you been through the wringer. What a horrible sequence of fertility issues, not to mention the family tragedies. It's amazing you are still upright.

How did the egg donation conversation go?

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger April said...

Wow...

I am so incredibly sorry you've had to face so many things in such a short time.

How did your sister respond to the talk/appointment?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home