Thursday, January 19, 2006

things can only get better?

Well, I don't know if I believe that.
Cause from where I'm sitting, things just get worse.
Today's blood test reveals that (surprise!) after two years of steadily coming down, my FSH has jumped back up. I'm expecting a stern phone call any day now from the big NY clinic barring me from cycling with them.
AND
A recent ultrasound confirms that yes, one tube (the one we had thought was the good tube) is blocked and surgery is recommended. I thought I'd be waiting months for surgery but they've managed to schedule it for 3 weeks from now. (These days that passes for good news).
So now I'll be missing an ovary and a tube. Yea!
Didn't seem to need those reproductive bits anyway.

After getting my FSH results I made an appointment with my acupuncturist tout de suite. Perhaps my decision to forgo all that poking was ill conceived. And I'm seriously wondering whether my lack of discipline in the vitamin taking-coffee drinking-bread eating department has had a negative affect. Once again I'll end up blaming myself.

Had a visit today from a co-worker who has been on mat leave for over 9 months. She, her husband (a physician, of course) and the baby (adorable, of course) are going on holiday to Florida for two weeks. "It'll be such a nice break" she says.
??
Break from what?
From the joy of being at home everyday with your baby?? I bit my tongue and said nothing.

edited jan 20th

hello all, i will look into the AMH test. regarding the blocked tube, lynnette is correct- the idea being that the fluid in tubes can be toxic and prevent embryos from implanting (ie. it kills them). in my case i've never had any implant so perhaps this is what's going on. but who knows. here is the most recent review of the subject.



10 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Blogger Sparkle said...

Sorry to hear your bad news, but actually it is good news that you can get that op. done really quick. Is it a requirement to have the tube removed for ivf? Sorry also to hear about the FSH, so many people find the acu helps with this.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Lut C. said...

Surgery? If my HSG shows blocked tubes, I plan on using that as an argument to get IVF. I thought that was supposed to make tubal surgery unnecessary.
Your doctors know what they're doing, no doubt.

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh jeez... are the tube and the ovary at least on the same side? I hope the surgery goes well. Sorry about the FSH. Has the clinic offered an AMH (anti-mullerian hormone) test to you? Its supposed to be more definitive than FSH. Take care...

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to add, as someone without tubes, myself, that your chance of IVF success is actually better without the tube. No hydro or ectopic. And month to month, it's kind of a relief.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger ninaB said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Thalia said...

So sorry you got shitty news. How high did the FSH go exactly? Hoping that this surgery is a good thing.

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were you hoping to cycle at Cornell? (Just wondering bc you mentioned a big NY clinic.) They have a reputation for taking on difficult cases so hopefully this higher fsh # won't prevent from doing IVF there. If you need recs on doctors or want any more info on Cornell, email me. (I've also cycled at RMA NY and had a consult with NYU, so I can tell you a little about those clinics as well.) Good luck!!

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Sorry about the continuing bad news, Nina.

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger JennaM said...

New here... Oh, Nina, please don't blame yourself for coffee, etc. And I did many months (and paychecks-worth) of acupuncture and craniosacral massage and reiki and god-knows-what-else with absolutely no effect whatsoever.

There's enough going on in your poor little privates to explain your difficulties... in the MEANtime, I'll put an extra shot of espresso in my cappucino for you!

Wishing you all good things...

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Drew said...

Hi Nina
Thanks for dropping by - when i read your introduction - I was shocked to the core because we are so similar.
This is my 6th year into ttc, also married to a dishy man :) (my apeman), and did enough IVF to make me a semi-expert in hard core fertility issues. I am just sick and tired but still want to keep my head up high and refuse to believe I am not meant to be a mother.

One of the reasons why I was so determined to have my ovary removed (and tube) was because the tube was blocked, and the cyst was stubborn so it just keep growing back and react violently to hormone injections. Once its gone I have gained alot of normality back in my life and ovulate most times like my peers.

Hey dude - get your FSH rechecked a few months time, dont quote me on this but I found (from a friend) that you can experience discrepancy and best get that number cross checked.

Will be thinking of you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home