Friday, November 04, 2005

and then there was one

I really thought I had hit some kind of new low point. But, incredibly, things have gone from bad to worse.
The ultrasound this morning shows only 1 decent size follicle. The other one appears to not be growing. There are also a couple under 1cm, but they too look like they're just hanging around and not going anywhere.
And it looks like my left tube is blocked (despite 2 previous HSGs that had showed it to be open).

So...the million dollar question.
Should I stay or should I go?

If I go there will be trouble: this is my last try with my own eggs. I think it's pretty clear that my ovary is not up to the job. Goodbye to my whitechololatebabydream.


If I stay there it will be double: what are the chances that this 1 egg will produce 1 good embryo? And if it does what the chances it could actually implant, given the appearance of the toxic tube? Is it worth another week in NY? Is it worth going through the retrieval, the anxious hours of waiting to see if the egg has fertilized, the embryo is developing..and then 2 weeks of projesterone injections?

I think I have till tomorrow to decide.

What think?

7 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Blogger Lut C. said...

I'm so sorry you have to go through this, on your own, away from home.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger April said...

I am so sorry you're going through this, and hope that you find peace in your decision, whatever it may be.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Millie said...

I had the same decision to make in May. I went to retrieval. It didn't go my way but did make it easier for me to move on.

I do know many women from another board who've had one embie wonders.

I met a woman at the Cooper with a triple digit fsh who only got one egg in 5 years of trying. Just one egg. Her daughter is the light of her life. Just sayin'.

Thinking of you and wishing you luck with your decision.

 
At 12:53 PM, Anonymous thalia said...

So sorry this is all going wrong, Nina. By now you've probably made your decision. I think if it was me I'd go through with it, having gotten this far. But that's just me.

Hoping you are doing ok.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Nina, twice I have had to go through that identical situation. Both times I decided to do it but I am aware that not everyone would want to. Both times the gamble did not work either. I have dealt with it and moved on. If you do not go ahead, do you get a refund? Take care, sweetie.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Nina, how are you doing? I am thinking good thoughts for you.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger ninaB said...

Thank you everyone for your comments. It really did make me feel less 'alone'. I had decided that I would "go for it" with just the one follice, if they'd let me.
Turns out, it wasn't my decision to make.
nina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home